Teledyne DALSA: better images at lower dose
30 x 24 cm CMOS flat detector panelMammography is the imaging of the human breast for the purpose of detecting malignant tissue growth and (micro-) calcifications. Medical practitioners use digital mammography for screening, diagnostic investigation, and biopsy. Most mammography yields 2-dimensional images, and is performed with relatively “soft” X-rays (<40 kVp). Tomosynthesis is a diagnostic X-ray technique which uses multiple exposures from different angles to generate a 3D image of the breast structure.
There are a number of technologies available for digital mammography:
- Image Intensified CCD (IICCD): This well-established technology offers low noise and good image quality, but it struggles to provide the resolution necessary for mammography. Additionally, it has a large, bulky form factor which further interferes with mammography procedures.
- Amorphous silicon (a-Si): Although it provides large fields of view, a-Si suffers from high noise and limited pixel sizes. Limiting image quality. It also has high power consumption in dynamic operation, requiring cooling, and may not deliver the speed of operation requird for 3D imaging.
- Amorphous selenium (a-Se): This approach delivers good image quality and field of view, but its pixel size and frame rates are limited. It is by far the most expensive technology for mammography, and a-Se detectors are highly susceptible to environmental stresses such as changes in temperature or humidity.
- Teledyne DALSA CMOS: Our CMOS technology, now in its 4th generation, offers large FOV, exceptionally low noise for unsurpassed low dose image quality, and low power consumption (no cooling required),
Our implementation also delivers the best high frame rate dynamic performance of any available technology, as well as unsurpassed resolving power, making it ideal for the next generation of 3-D imaging techniques, including stereotactic needle positioning for biopsy and tomosynthesis.
Significantly less expensive than a-Se, our CMOS detectors tolerate wide ranges in environmental conditions, and with significant functionality integrated on-chip, they reduce both the cost and complexity of external electronics.
- Teledyne DALSA TDI CCD: For specialty modalities, our scanning detectors offer the highest resolving power available for mammography (>15 line pairs/mm) combined with exceptionally low noise and high sensitivity. For scanning-suitable applications, their performance is unmatched.
In any X-ray application, durability is an important consideration. With radiation-hard pixel designs for longer device lifetime Teledyne DALSA's sensors will provide consistent image quality over the long term. In developing our CMOS detectors, we were able to improve radiation stability by a factor of 50x comparing to ‘standard’ CMOS imaging processes; the scintillator defines the lifetime of the detector, not the CMOS imager. For CCD TDI solutions we use a specialty space grade CCD process from our own foundry, enabling 10x longer device lifetime.
With package encapsulation technology designed for harsh environments, Teledyne DALSA's sensors will withstand shocks and vibrations as well as repeated cleanings in clinical and hospital settings.
Stereotactic breast biopsy
Ask us about mammography
Can we help?
Can we help?
Got a question? Need a quote? Want a demo?